Our previous blog here encourages parents to talk to their children about appropriate alcohol use during the holiday of Purim (or anytime!). The day after Purim, people who overindulge will feel the effects – hangovers are awful. What happens when a person knows he/she will be drinking? Are there ways to prevent a hangover? What are hangover remedies?
TIPS for Avoiding a Hangover
1. Before you go out to drink eat a full, fatty meal. The food will help slow down the absorption of alcohol.
2. Don’t drink dark colored drinks like red wine!! They contain natural chemicals which can irritate blood vessels and make a hangover worse.
3. Drink water in between each alcoholic beverage. Alcohol is a diuretic and most of the hangover symptoms are caused by dehydration. Proper hydration can eliminate many symptoms of a hangover.
4. Drink 2 full cups of water before you go to sleep. Keep water by the bed in case you get thirsty.
Hangover Remedies – for those of you that did not follow EMA Care tips!
1. Drink bland liquids that are easy to digest – water, juices, vegetable soup. If you drink coffee every morning, drink it slowly.
2. Sugary foods may help you feel less trembly-honey on plain cookies is a good way to ease into food.
3. Unless contraindicated, take ibuprofen over the counter medication, such as Advil. Generic options in Israel include Adex and Nurofen. Make sure to take the medicine after eating something.
4. Exercise. A gentle, short workout may help.
5. Rest. The sleep after drinking is not restful. As you begin to recover, resting and sleeping are helpful.
6. Do not drink alcoholic beverages for at least 2 days. This might be difficult this year, with Shabbat the day after Purim, but try to stick with grape juice if you have overindulged on alcohol!
I write to express my hakarat hatov (positive recognition) and my gratitude to the two health professionals from EMA Care that have been from the start professionally involved and continue to be interested in my care and long-term recovery.
After a serious fracture, I was hospitalized in the north, and my insurance company recommended EMA Care services to help me. After a surgeon was pressuring me to sign consent for surgery, I realized that I needed to remain...
I would like to recommend Eliana (EMA care) for her sensitive and timely help for clients who are having difficulty navigating the health care system Israel, specifically for Anglos, whether new olim or those of us who been here for many years.
The obstacles of interfacing with the health care system here is daunting, especially at a time when one is going through an acute or chronic condition that is protracted and complicated. Often one doesn’t know whom to turn to or where to go,...
During our recent visit to Israel, we really struggled to find food for our son who has anaphylactic level allergies to egg and sesame. We approached both restaurants and hotels and were told they were unable or unwilling to take responsibility for preparing his food.
After learning about Dr. Eliana on-line, we contacted her in the...
We want to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for the amazing gift you have given us over this Pesach- the gift of having you with us!!!!
We have NEVER felt more comfortable, calm, and at ease than we did these past 10 days. Your warmth, professionalism, kindness, and care shown through in all that you did.
My children are so grateful that they were able to be with you this Pesach. You made sure that they were so well looked after and they felt so at ease and...
When our son was injured in a car accident during his yeshiva year in Israel, he had to start navigating the medical system on his own. But once we contacted Dr. Eliana Aaron at EMA Care (www.HealthCareIsrael.com), she immediately flew into action. Dr. Aaron accompanied our son in the ER and made sure he and we knew at every step exactly what was done and what needed to be done, especially important for someone who suffered a concussion and...
My son went to Israel for a year requiring infusion every 6-8 weeks. It was very stressful at times to coordinate getting his meds sent to Israel, scheduling appointments, and having to worry about him going on his own. Then a friend told me about EMA Care. EMA Care was truly amazing.
You can speak to an American who understands your concerns and will walk you through the entire process, from dealing with insurance to making appointments, and even getting someone to escort your...
It sounds like my dad has decided to hire you and I'm thrilled.
He actually seems much calmer than he has been in a long time and he is very happy with what the EMA Care staff has done so far.
You provide an amazing service and I feel very fortunate to have you on board.
“EMA” Care is so fitting a name for Dr. Eliana Aaron’s exceptional gap year concierge health care service. Dr. Aaron is not only an incredible health care professional; she is also an “Ema Extraordinaire” in every sense of the word. My child had a range of medical needs while abroad, some anticipated and others not, and she was there for him (and me) – even in the middle of the night, -- always calm, reassuring, thinking out of the box, getting him to the appropriate medical professionals...